Cognitive & Sensory Overload At My Local McDonald's
So i've come back from McDonald's and as usual, it was very loud and overstimulating.
I have nothing against the parents nor the workers, but i just wanted to say how glad i am that i bring my noise cancelling headphones every time that i go there. Because see, every time i am there, it seems that nearly the entirety of my neighborhood is there (Usually when i come later in the afternoon hours though).
In which case, makes things very overstimulating. I could feel as if my senses were becoming numb and my thinking began to slow down to an even more slower pace than it was at before. I was not mentally available as i've come to call it, due to having multiple brain farts all in the same minute.
My mom was calling me to do things and couldn't let me have a breather, but in reality, she gave me more than enough time in between the demands that i felt that when i had stammered due to the overstimulation i was being overdramatic. But i wasn't. I was struggling and i couldn't verbalize that to my mom.
It was only after she had left to get the food could i have time to think to myself, to finish a train of thought instead of having it be suddenly and abruptly cut off because something demanded my attention, or someone wanted me to respond as soon as i feasibly could to them.
This kind of went on longer than expected, but i really wanted to share this with you guys. I wanted to share the reality of autistic cognitive overload, since this topic doesn't seem mentioned in the online autism space.
Comments
Post a Comment