Support Needs Don't Fluctuate

I have mid support needs autism. Or that’s what my local developmental agency described my support needs as anyway.

And support needs fluctuating is not true in that you can dip down or lift up to another autism level every day. Of course, humans, including disabled and autistic ones, support needs fluctuates on a daily basis.

That’s normal. What’s not normal is that the support needs go from low support needs one day all the way to high support needs without it at least being consistent or being that persons baseline.
And that doesn’t happen to most of these people who claim that they can have level one days then have level two or three days. That’s just not how that works. So let’s use myself as an example of how this doesn’t work the way you think it does:
I can’t cook for myself. Not in a way of I struggle to get started but once I’m working, I can cook all by myself. It’s in a way of needing parents to cook for me. I can’t help them out consistently by chopping up food, and I can’t go using the stove without them in the room with me. This is my average, not a snapshot or a one off day.
The next day, I’d need the same help. But I can have one off days when I can chop up vegetables, but that isn’t me suddenly learning how to cook all by myself overnight. I might even still need some help in other areas on this good, but one off, day. This isn’t my baseline, again.

This post was inspired by a situation on Reddit where someone used that sentence to dismiss the results that that same developmental agency gave me. They assessed me with the Supports Intensity Scale by the way, something that is widely used here and in the United States too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

I Have 3 Blogs Now

My Time at a Social Program